SMB Unix User accounts
Table of Contents
Requesting an account
Follow these steps:
- Fill out, print and sign the Computer Account Request Form
Make sure you read the
SLAC policy on "Use of Information Resources" before
you sign the form.
- Send the signed form to Edgar Estebanez. You
can use fax, mail or email (scan and save as PDF).
- FAX # 650-926-3292 (add a heads up via email)
- Edgar Estebanez, SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, 2575
Sand Hill Rd, MS99, Menlo Park, CA 94025
The account will be initially set up with a temporary password
(chosen by you in the Computer Request Form); you must login within
one day after you receive the notification of account creation and
change the password. Use the form:
As per SLAC policy, the password will expire every six months. An
e-mail notifications is sent to the account prior to expiration. If
you wish to forward the notification to your habitual e-mail address
- Log in to your SMB Unix account. In your home directory
(/home/"your_id"), create a file called
- Use an editor to add your e-mail address to the
.forward file and save it. If you have more than one
e-mail address or you want other people in your group to receive
the notification, add one address per line.
Use the ChangePassword form to change the password before it
If the password expires or if the account remains inactive for a
long time, it will be locked. If the account is locked or if you
forget your password, contact Edgar Estebanez or user support staff.